Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Going Green

Going green is not entirely new to me. For quite some time I have been trying to change my habits, so I won't harm the environment as much. Unfortunately at my house I am viewed as a freak; I have tried countless times to change my parents' point of view, but my all my efforts have proved in vain. Still, I decided not to give up, and continue being green (at least trying to).

I can't tell exactly when it all started, but I remember my first step was cutting down in the use of water. Very basic things like taking faster showers; closing the faucet when brushing the teeth and doing dishes. I also became some sort of "light" patrol. Whenever someone leaves a room and forgets to shut the light, I'll be there to make sure it is taken care of.

Coming from the Eco-capital of Brazil, Curitiba, I am no stranger to recycling. I have always recycled paper, glass, cans, and even rechargeable batteries. Please don't ever throw your rechargeable batteries into the garbage, they are very toxic and can pollute the soil and water. Instead, take them to a place that takes this kind of material to recycle. Usually stores that sell this kind of batteries or manufacturers.

When I moved here I noticed people tend to use a lot of paper plates and plastic cups. I decided to stick to my glass china, the fact they have to be washed after used does not bother me at all. I have also decided to join Greenpeace, even though I haven't contributed as much. I'll admit it, I am a member just for the sake of it. I have tried to be an active member of Surfrider Foundation though, which as the name suggests aims at raising awareness about pollution in our beaches and oceans. I have always loved the ocean and can't stand when people leave garbage on the sand.

Another way of being green is being a vegetarian. This was unintentional, I didn't start it to save the environment, but for the animals. I love them too much to keep hurting them. A lot of water, land and crops are used to maintain livestock. According to Jim Motavalli in "The Case against Meat", an article for emagazine .com:

"More than a third of all raw materials and fossil fuels consumed in the U.S. are used in animal production. Beef production alone uses more water than is consumed in growing the nation’s entire fruit and vegetable crop. Producing a single hamburger patty uses enough fuel to drive 20 miles and causes the loss of five times its weight in topsoil. In his book The Food Revolution, author John Robbins estimates that 'you’d save more water by not eating a pound of California beef than you would by not showering for an entire year.' Because of deforestation to create grazing land, each vegetarian saves an acre of trees per year."

I have recently stopped buying bottled water and got myself my own little bottle. I hope we can all go green safely and don't spoil this idea as we did with all others. Somehow we always try to find someway to make money out of things. I think moderation is key; since consuming things abruptly does not help. I fear that somehow the new Eco- friendly products we have just come up with will be corrupted as well. As long as we are doing it for a good cause and not for money, we should be fine.




4 comments:

Zinaida's-blog. said...

YOU GO GIRL! KEEP DOING WHAT IS RIGHT!!! AND IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE IT THEN YOUR PARENTS WILL COME TO UNDERSTAND YOU. I KNOW.

Brandon said...

Hey, Ana! I don't eat beef very often. We use ground turkey meat, for burgers and such, here at my house. I, seriously, doubt that our ground turkey meat causes less greenhouse gas emissions than beef, it its production. We don't eat beef much, but not for reasons of environmental protection. I'm sure you're aware of this fact: beef remains in the human digestive system for years after its consumption. Yuck!

C. Jason Smith said...

Hi Ana-- You would really like the Water exhibit at AMNH if you have not seen it. It is a tad expensive, but my wife and I really learned a lot.

Thanks for your posts!

Unknown said...

Great post. I'm going to promote it. :-) Have a happy day and lots of success on the way